Original antique map. Published by G.W. Bacon, 1881 for the "Ordnance Survey of the British Isles", First Edition
G.W. Bacon (Geroge Washington) 1830-1922
Following bankruptcy in 1867, Bacon set-up his publishing business on the Strand in 1870. To establish his company, he acquired the plates of Edward Weller, previously used in 1863 for "The Dispatch Atlas".
Bacon modified and updated the plates, improved the clarity of text and added a colour wash to the maps to make them more attractive. The much improved maps first appeared in the "The New Ordnance Atlas of the British Isles" in 1881. Subsequent editions were printed up until 1912.
Map size: 30.5 x 22cm