A New Map of Northumberland by John Cary.
Engraved on copper.
Published in 1807.
With original colour.
John Cary (1755-1835) cartographer and publisher is best know for his county maps published in the late 18th and early 19th century. His maps were with out ornamentation but remain decorative in there own right. Visually the print is clear and clean and his maps remarkable in there accuracy. They are considered the finest maps published in the early 19th century and equal to the Ordnance Survey.
Johns sons took over the business in 1821. It was then known as G. and J. Cary and continued until until 1850. The company was acquired by George Frederick Cruchley and latter Gall and Inglis. By the time John died in 1835, Cary was the authoritative name in private map publishing and his business was a leader in the field throughout the first half of the nineteenth century.